How does an ignition coil work?
1. Principle of ignition coil
It is composed of main coil, secondary coil, magnetic core, switch triode and other auxiliary components. The main coil is charged by the battery, the secondary coil discharges the spark plug to ignite, and the triode is responsible for switching . The charging time is controlled by the battery voltage and engine speed to ensure that the energy of each charge is consistent. There are two types of ignition coils: 3-wire and 4-wire. The 3-wire is the power supply positive, negative, switch control (ECU command), and the 4-wire has an additional ignition detection The wire can detect whether the spark plug is ignited (whether there is discharge current in the secondary coil). To put it simply, the ignition coil is a transformer, that is, the voltage of tens of volts is raised to tens of thousands of volts, but the voltage input to the primary coil is provided by the electronic igniter.
Second, the reason for the burnout of the ignition coil
The reason for the burnout of the ignition coil is mainly due to the aging and breakdown of the insulating layer or the damage of the switch triode. , The insulation layer ages quickly, the small spark plug gap leads to large discharge current of the secondary coil, large heat generation, and rapid aging of the insulating layer. The assembled ignition coil may have poor durability of insulating materials, large internal resistance of the coil, large heat generation, and low quality of the tertiary tube. some.
If it is always burned out, it will burn out soon after replacement. What is the reason? The following summarizes some:
1. Let’s first look at the problem of the generator. If the power generation is too high, the ignition coil will easily burn out if the load is too heavy, but if the power generation is too high, the body electrical appliances, such as light bulbs, will often be damaged; of course, the quality of the accessories is not ruled out, so it is best to First measure the power generation.
2. The spark plug gap is too large, adjust the gap or replace the spark plug;
3. The gasoline quality is not good, try to change the gasoline with a higher grade;
4 , The cylinder compression ratio is wrong, adjust the compression ratio;
5. If there is a program failure on the computer board, you can go to the repair shop to use the computer to check the car, and clear the wrong information. If it still doesn't work, there may be a problem with your car's transmission.
6. The power supply voltage is unstable;